Home » News » Public Safety
Fellow hikers, search teams rescue injured Conn. man
A press release from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said that Peter Hapgood, 45, of Glastonbury, Conn., had summited the mountain and was heading down the Greenleaf Trail when he slipped and fell at around 11 a.m. Hapgood sustained injuries to his lower leg and called 911 for help.
The release said passing hikers stopped to treat his injuries and helped him get to the Appalachian Mountain Club's Greenleaf Hut, which is 2.7 miles from the trailhead.
Rescue teams took over from there, carrying Hapgood down an icy trail and to a Franconia Life Squad ambulance at 8:45 p.m. He was taken to Littleton Regional Hospital for treatment.
Crews from Pemi Valley Search and Rescue Team, Mountain Rescue Service, US Forest Service and Fish and Game conservation officers participated in the rescue.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
- Woman gets speeding ticket, then crashes into guard rail - 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem