Callahan Tunnel closes tonight for renovation; travelers from NH must use detours
The Callahan Tunnel, which carries traffic northbound from Boston’s North End to Logan International Airport and Route 1A in East Boston, will remain closed to all traffic during the first phase of the Callahan Tunnel Rehabilitation Project, which will continue through March 12, 2014.
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation’s suggested the following detours for travelers coming into Boston from the north on Interstate-93:
Option 1 (Recommended)
I-93 south to Exit 31 (Rt. 16E); From exit, turn left onto Route 16 Eastbound; Continue on Route 16 Eastbound for 5.6 miles until the Bell Circle Rotary; at the Bell Circle Rotary, turn onto Route 1A Southbound; Continue 2.7 miles to Logan Airport and follow signs to access airport. (For East Boston, exit at Curtis Street.)
I-93 South to Exit 18 (Mass Ave./Roxbury/Andrew Square); Take Exit 18; Stay straight at the Massachusetts Avenue ramp and then turn left at the sign for I-90/Bypass Road; Go through the next intersection and follow Bypass Road 1.3 miles to the I-90 Eastbound on-ramp; Enter I-90 Eastbound and follow 1.8 miles to Logan Airport.
See the Massachusetts Department of Transportation link for more information and travel tips.
The second phase of the project begins March 13, 2014 and runs through late August, 2014. The tunnel will be open and no work will be done during the day. It will be closed overnight from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. during this time period.
The third phase of the tunnel rehabilitation will occur between August and mid-November, 2014 when finish work will be done during off-peak commuter hours.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rep. Stephen Shurtleff: What NH can accomplish when we cooperate in Concord - 0
- Brian Bouchard's NH Legal Perspective: Cloudy with a chance of trade secret forfeiture - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- John Stossel: Making legal immigration easier would help America - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 6
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem