Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A momentous year for these newspapers
Looking back, it was a momentous year for our newspapers (the daily Union Leader, the Sunday News, and our weekly papers). As of June, we stopped printing them in Manchester. We are now printed in Dover on a press leased from Foster's Daily Democrat to the Seacoast Media Group. The Seacoast group was itself sold later that summer to an entity that owns many newspapers in New England and beyond.
Independence has its ups and downs. We aren't beholden to some Dow Jones bottom line. Neither do we have ready access to a mogul's piggy bank to finance big purchases. Hence our decision, reluctantly made, to move printing to Dover and put a "for sale" sign on our huge facility at 100 William Loeb Drive.
Write to Joe McQuaid at email@example.com or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 6
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 20
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride