Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A momentous year for these newspapers
Looking back, it was a momentous year for our newspapers (the daily Union Leader, the Sunday News, and our weekly papers). As of June, we stopped printing them in Manchester. We are now printed in Dover on a press leased from Foster's Daily Democrat to the Seacoast Media Group. The Seacoast group was itself sold later that summer to an entity that owns many newspapers in New England and beyond.
Independence has its ups and downs. We aren't beholden to some Dow Jones bottom line. Neither do we have ready access to a mogul's piggy bank to finance big purchases. Hence our decision, reluctantly made, to move printing to Dover and put a "for sale" sign on our huge facility at 100 William Loeb Drive.
Write to Joe McQuaid at email@example.com or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Siege Day launched at Pinkerton; students gain hands-on experience with hommade catapults - 0
- Middle school student's mom says principal used chokehold - 19
- School board suspends driver's ed program in Manchester, will probe source of $180k deficit - 2
- Manchester middle school principal placed on leave - 2
- Lebanon begins search for new school superindendent - 0
- Inventor excites Manchester fourth-graders with math, science possibilities - 0
- Nashua officals tour technical education center - 0
- City fourth-graders to meet entrepreneur Dean Kamen - 0
- No 3-day weekend for kids in Manchester school system - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?