Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A momentous year for these newspapers
Looking back, it was a momentous year for our newspapers (the daily Union Leader, the Sunday News, and our weekly papers). As of June, we stopped printing them in Manchester. We are now printed in Dover on a press leased from Foster's Daily Democrat to the Seacoast Media Group. The Seacoast group was itself sold later that summer to an entity that owns many newspapers in New England and beyond.
Independence has its ups and downs. We aren't beholden to some Dow Jones bottom line. Neither do we have ready access to a mogul's piggy bank to finance big purchases. Hence our decision, reluctantly made, to move printing to Dover and put a "for sale" sign on our huge facility at 100 William Loeb Drive.
Write to Joe McQuaid at email@example.com or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- A voice for New Hampshire is silenced, but Stacey Cole's impact will remain - 0
- Whether you have everything or nothing, you can find the perfect gift in these pages - 0
- Obituaries can give life to the recently departed - 0
- The Donald trumped event with praise for Foley, others - 0
- A Revolutionary War descendant became the paper's original 'tree hugger' - 2
- Newspapers save democracy, one edition at a time - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Bradlee, B.J. and a heavenly forgiveness - 1
- Government thinks it's your right not to know - 6
- No Columbus Day celebration, but we'll always have our Festivus poles - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU women win - 0
- Merrimack's Schaller scores first NHL goal, but B's get win - 0
- For Rex Ryan, another close loss to Pats - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'