Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A momentous year for these newspapers
Looking back, it was a momentous year for our newspapers (the daily Union Leader, the Sunday News, and our weekly papers). As of June, we stopped printing them in Manchester. We are now printed in Dover on a press leased from Foster's Daily Democrat to the Seacoast Media Group. The Seacoast group was itself sold later that summer to an entity that owns many newspapers in New England and beyond.
Independence has its ups and downs. We aren't beholden to some Dow Jones bottom line. Neither do we have ready access to a mogul's piggy bank to finance big purchases. Hence our decision, reluctantly made, to move printing to Dover and put a "for sale" sign on our huge facility at 100 William Loeb Drive.
Write to Joe McQuaid at email@example.com or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Age may change, but not our standards - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A few 'ouches' aside, week went pretty well - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: On lice and why Marie Antoinette lost head - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Travolta app proof we can handle anything - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Weighty matters during wait at the DMV - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Frustrations aside, my thanks, plow guys - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Lot in a name, so we want to get them right - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Any meaning to groundhog predictions? - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Glad to get emails; well, one of 'em, anyway - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'