Home » News » Public Safety
After death, Amherst Fire Dept. asks people to pledge not to text and drive
Last week, former Amherst Fire Chief John Bachman was struck by a car and killed as he was getting the mail at the end of his driveway on Merrimack Road.
Buchanan said that at one point in history, drinking and driving was considered socially acceptable but efforts to change that perception paid off. Unfortunately, he said, texting has taken the place of drunken driving.
“At 55 miles per hour you’re traveling 80 feet per second,” said Buchanan. “If you take your eyes off the road for three seconds, you’ve gone 240 feet blindly.”
For more information, visit www.amherstnhfire.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua - 0
- Police officer, firefighter team up to rescue dog from frozen Raymond river - 0
- Pilot safe after crash landing on Alton ice runway - 0
- Police dog Mingo is in even better hands - 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 1
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Gatsas incensed by unauthorized use of his phone number for 'robocalls' - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Vote on death penalty repeal set for Wednesday - 0
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Newest Monarchs making impact - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Aging catchers cause for concern - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings - 0
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?