Home » News » Public Safety
Friend worries for woman burned after fall
Rioux, 53, of Derry, remained in the Intensive Care Unit of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston Monday afternoon, according to a hospital spokesman. Her condition wasn’t available at press time.
Grasso said he left his friend to go retrieve a pair of gloves inside his house to cook hot dogs on the fire. He said he noticed his wife, Lisha and son, Devin, were watching television.
When he was walking back to the fire pit, he was shocked to hear Rioux calling for help and saw her lying in the pit, her clothes on fire.
After Rioux was pulled out of the fire, Grasso said his son Devin called 911 and Derry emergency personnel came.
Police Capt. Vern Thomas said the incident is not considered a crime and a police report wasn’t generated.
Grasso said he thinks Rioux might have been trying to warm herself by the fire when she slipped on the snow and ice and fell into the fire pit.
As he spoke, a package of hot dogs could still be seen near the fire pit, not far from an empty beer bottle. Grasso said the two friends had been drinking and consumed several drinks each over a period of several hours.
Choking back tears, Grasso said he has had trouble sleeping and can’t seem to get the incident out of his mind.
Grasso said his family members have supported him since the incident occurred.“My son said, ‘look at it this way, you saved a life.’”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 0
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 5
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief