Home » News » Public Safety
Friend worries for woman burned after fall
Robert Grasso, a longtime friend of Lindy Rioux, explains Monday what happened at the fire pit behind his house Saturday night when Rioux was severely burned. (HUNTER McGEE/Union Leader Correspondent)
Rioux, 53, of Derry, remained in the Intensive Care Unit of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston Monday afternoon, according to a hospital spokesman. Her condition wasn’t available at press time.
Grasso said he left his friend to go retrieve a pair of gloves inside his house to cook hot dogs on the fire. He said he noticed his wife, Lisha and son, Devin, were watching television.
When he was walking back to the fire pit, he was shocked to hear Rioux calling for help and saw her lying in the pit, her clothes on fire.
After Rioux was pulled out of the fire, Grasso said his son Devin called 911 and Derry emergency personnel came.
Police Capt. Vern Thomas said the incident is not considered a crime and a police report wasn’t generated.
Grasso said he thinks Rioux might have been trying to warm herself by the fire when she slipped on the snow and ice and fell into the fire pit.
As he spoke, a package of hot dogs could still be seen near the fire pit, not far from an empty beer bottle. Grasso said the two friends had been drinking and consumed several drinks each over a period of several hours.
Choking back tears, Grasso said he has had trouble sleeping and can’t seem to get the incident out of his mind.
Grasso said his family members have supported him since the incident occurred.“My son said, ‘look at it this way, you saved a life.’”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare