Home » News » Public Safety
Friend worries for woman burned after fall
Rioux, 53, of Derry, remained in the Intensive Care Unit of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston Monday afternoon, according to a hospital spokesman. Her condition wasn’t available at press time.
Grasso said he left his friend to go retrieve a pair of gloves inside his house to cook hot dogs on the fire. He said he noticed his wife, Lisha and son, Devin, were watching television.
When he was walking back to the fire pit, he was shocked to hear Rioux calling for help and saw her lying in the pit, her clothes on fire.
After Rioux was pulled out of the fire, Grasso said his son Devin called 911 and Derry emergency personnel came.
Police Capt. Vern Thomas said the incident is not considered a crime and a police report wasn’t generated.
Grasso said he thinks Rioux might have been trying to warm herself by the fire when she slipped on the snow and ice and fell into the fire pit.
As he spoke, a package of hot dogs could still be seen near the fire pit, not far from an empty beer bottle. Grasso said the two friends had been drinking and consumed several drinks each over a period of several hours.
Choking back tears, Grasso said he has had trouble sleeping and can’t seem to get the incident out of his mind.
Grasso said his family members have supported him since the incident occurred.“My son said, ‘look at it this way, you saved a life.’”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Jacob Brown - 0
- 2 dead, 17 injured in NYC building explosion - 1
- Milan voters support Kenney in tight race, elect two new selectmen - 0
- Auburn police contract approved - 0
- Newton selectmen chairman defeated in election - 0
- Candia to look at alternatives to Central High School - 0
- Goffstown rejects $4.5M fire station plan - 0
- Bedford votes down fire substation; $30M for roads approved - 0
NH oil dealer who failed to deliver convicted in Montana of millions in construction fraud
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal