Home » News » Public Safety
Birds run afoul of departing flight at Pease
PORTSMOUTH – A flock of snow buntings caused a U.S. Coast Guard flight to make an emergency landing as it was taking off Monday morning at Pease International Airport, according to airport manager Bill Hopper.
Hopper said the Coast Guard CN325 – a twin-propeller plane – struck the birds as it was departing around 11 a.m.
As a precaution, Hopper said firefighters from the N.H. Air National Guard – who are stationed at Pease – responded to assist as the plane touched down. He said the plane was not damaged and the eight crew members were not injured during the emergency.
Hopper said the flight was cleared and ready for departure within an hour.
While birds are present in the air throughout the year, Hopper said this is an usual event. He said about 100 flights safely use the airport each day.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- BAE worker suffers electrical shock, injuries not life-threatening - 1
- Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area - 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vermont rallies to top Swamp Bats - 0
- Red Sox' summer swoon continues as Jays finish sweep - 0
- Lawrence, Fisher Cats too much for Binghamton - 0
- Former Manchester teacher jailed for assaulting student, 6, with soap, pepper - 0
- Merrimack zoning officials deny AT&T cell tower request - 0
- Derry woman faces charges after nearly hitting Salem police officers - 0
- Upsets mark quarterfinal play in Red Ryan CYO golf - 0
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man accused of menacing woman, assaulting teen - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride