Home » News » Public Safety
Birds run afoul of departing flight at Pease
PORTSMOUTH – A flock of snow buntings caused a U.S. Coast Guard flight to make an emergency landing as it was taking off Monday morning at Pease International Airport, according to airport manager Bill Hopper.
Hopper said the Coast Guard CN325 – a twin-propeller plane – struck the birds as it was departing around 11 a.m.
As a precaution, Hopper said firefighters from the N.H. Air National Guard – who are stationed at Pease – responded to assist as the plane touched down. He said the plane was not damaged and the eight crew members were not injured during the emergency.
Hopper said the flight was cleared and ready for departure within an hour.
While birds are present in the air throughout the year, Hopper said this is an usual event. He said about 100 flights safely use the airport each day.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Cause of $1.4 million house fire in Plainfield remains unknown - 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Deering couple arrested in violent beating, kidnapping of Bennington woman - 0
- Nashua driver rejects plea deal in hit-and-run negligent homicide case - 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 7
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 10
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 3
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 15
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance