Home » News » Public Safety
Birds run afoul of departing flight at Pease
PORTSMOUTH – A flock of snow buntings caused a U.S. Coast Guard flight to make an emergency landing as it was taking off Monday morning at Pease International Airport, according to airport manager Bill Hopper.
Hopper said the Coast Guard CN325 – a twin-propeller plane – struck the birds as it was departing around 11 a.m.
As a precaution, Hopper said firefighters from the N.H. Air National Guard – who are stationed at Pease – responded to assist as the plane touched down. He said the plane was not damaged and the eight crew members were not injured during the emergency.
Hopper said the flight was cleared and ready for departure within an hour.
While birds are present in the air throughout the year, Hopper said this is an usual event. He said about 100 flights safely use the airport each day.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist dies in Route 302 crash - 0
- First Coffee with a Cop session goes smoothly - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 2
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 1
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Meredith man faces arson charge in Landmark Inn fire in Laconia - 0
- Three teens sent to area hospitals after crash on Blackwater Road at Rochester-Dover border - 0
- Good Samaritans track down man accused of stealing purse - 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS leads police to truck; vehicle breaks lead to arrest - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
- Red Sox held to one hit as Angels coast to win - 0
- Market Basket: Analysts point to debt - 5
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
Poll: Brown makes gains on Sen. Shaheen