Home » News » Public Safety
Tuckerman Ravine avalanche survivor says 'adrenaline' kept him going
Adam Herman Monday evening in Memorial Hospital in North Conway with multiple fractures. (COURTESY PHOTO)
Speaking in a telephone interview Monday evening from his bed at Memorial Hospital in North Conway following surgery on his arm, Adam Herman of Oak Bluffs, Mass., sounded grateful to be alive.
They were waiting for two other members of their hiking party — all are in their early 20s — to come back from the top and rejoin them.
"We wanted to be down before nightfall," Herman said. "We waited at the checkpoint for an hour for them. Then when we started down, we got disoriented in the snow."
"Instead of going down the trail, we took a left," Herman said.
It would be hours before the two would see the faint flashlight beam of two others who had been at the summit, and were bringing them hot fluids to drink and dry clothes.
A rescue team would reach the injured hikers, but it was 2 a.m. Sunday before everyone got down. Still not realizing the serious nature of his back injury, Herman said he slid sitting down much of the trail during the return trip. Conor Lodge, meanwhile, suffered a concussion in his fall.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
- Annual banquet on April 23 honors police, fire and EMS - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan - 0
- Sen. Odell won't seek re-election - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 11
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 22
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 3
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 7
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Sen. Odell won't seek re-election