Man says Groton Wind turbine project turned his dream house into nightmare
Mario Rampino points at the Groton Wind LLC operations and maintenance building that was erected across the street from his home. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
Rampino, 71, a former U.S. Army infantryman who served in Vietnam for three years, suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. He left Boston because he needed peace and quiet and the shelter of the woods.
"It's the death of a dream," Rampino said. "It's torture for me to be here now. I'm afraid to walk outside. They don't ask the abutters when they do these things."
Rampino and his lawyer, Justin Richardson of Upton and Hatfield in Portsmouth, claim that change was not filed properly with the state's Site Evaluation Committee.
The SEC will be holding hearings on Rampino's legal brief and the claims of others, including the state fire marshal, that the company did not file the planned changes to its facility with the proper authority.
"I'm not asking for a lot of money, but I do have to start over and I want to be treated fairly," he said.
Neighbor Cheryl Lewis said, "When these big companies come in, they don't think of the little guy."
"We work hard to earn the trust and respect of landowners and stakeholders at all of our plants. We were surprised that Mr. Rampino continues to have concerns, as we believed we had reached an amicable understanding with him directly, but we'll continue to work with him and all stakeholders to resolve any outstanding questions," Copleman said.
"But the rest of the town doesn't have to deal with this building being where it is now," he said. "I say to people who want wind power, let them try and live here now. I couldn't sell this place now if I wanted to."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 28
- The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw - 29
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Where you go to college could be an issue at the polls - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters