Home » News » Public Safety
New Year’s Day fire destroys Canaan home
Firefighters were first called to the home just after 4 p.m. on New Year’s Day, said Canaan Fire Captain James McAlister.
The homeowners were away and the fire was reported by neighbors, he said.
“The building had already flashed over. Fire was showing through the windows when we got there. Basically the whole interior caught fire and blew the windows out,” McAlister said.
Dispatchers had alerted firefighters that the homeowners had been contacted and were not at home, so knowing no one was inside, firefighters just worked to put out the fire, he said.
Firefighters did an extensive overhaul of the house, making sure all hot spots were out. Firefighters finally cleared the scene at 9 p.m., he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health