Home » News » Weather » Storm Blog
Dangerous wind chills prompt warnings
Elaine Irving of Hampton braves a biting wind and snow to photograph the marine memorial at Hampton Beach Thursday afternoon. (Jason Schreiber/ Union Leader Correspondent)
A combination of near zero or below zero temperatures and winds gusting 20 to 30 mph will create wind chills of 30 below in the north to 20 below in southern areas, said Margaret Curtis, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine.
The strong winds are associated with a developing nor'easter that is expected to drop 8 to 12 inches of snow on central and southern areas, with up to 14 inches on the Seacoast by the time it winds down Friday morning.
Curtis said the storm could create near blizzard conditions at times overnight, especially closer to the coast.
"If you don't need to travel, just sit down by the fire and have some hot chocolate," she said.
The storm may also bring coastal flooding concerns as tides could run about a foot above normal.
Curtis said Hampton would be the area of most concern, but that any flooding at the time of high tide over the next two days should be minor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 6
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 20
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches