Home » News » Public Safety
Attempt to thaw pipes sparks Derry fire
DERRY - A landlord attempting to thaw frozen pipes with a propane torch sparked a fire that chased two families from a century-old house on Saturday morning, authorities said.
A woman living at the house at 5 Mt. Pleasant St. who has a history of respiratory problems developed shortness of breath outside and was taken to Parkland Medical Center, according to the fire department.
The American Red Cross helped five adults and two dogs with finding a place to stay, authorities said.
It took firefighters about an hour to bring the fire, reported at 8:49 a.m., under control.
Fire damage was limited mostly to the structure itself, and residents were able to recover the majority of their belongings.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
When company comes, opt for variety
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches