All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In


Attempt to thaw pipes sparks Derry fire

DERRY - A landlord attempting to thaw frozen pipes with a propane torch sparked a fire that chased two families from a century-old house on Saturday morning, authorities said.

A woman living at the house at 5 Mt. Pleasant St. who has a history of respiratory problems developed shortness of breath outside and was taken to Parkland Medical Center, according to the fire department.

The American Red Cross helped five adults and two dogs with finding a place to stay, authorities said.

It took firefighters about an hour to bring the fire, reported at 8:49 a.m., under control.

Fire damage was limited mostly to the structure itself, and residents were able to recover the majority of their belongings.

        

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required
Joseph W. McQuaid - Publisher

Christie is the real deal

We have found Gov. Chris Christie to be the most consistent, the most confident in his abilities, the most tested under fire, and the most likely to regain the White House from a disastrous Democratic regime.

More Public Safety


NH Angle