Home » News » Public Safety
Attempt to thaw pipes sparks Derry fire
DERRY - A landlord attempting to thaw frozen pipes with a propane torch sparked a fire that chased two families from a century-old house on Saturday morning, authorities said.
A woman living at the house at 5 Mt. Pleasant St. who has a history of respiratory problems developed shortness of breath outside and was taken to Parkland Medical Center, according to the fire department.
The American Red Cross helped five adults and two dogs with finding a place to stay, authorities said.
It took firefighters about an hour to bring the fire, reported at 8:49 a.m., under control.
Fire damage was limited mostly to the structure itself, and residents were able to recover the majority of their belongings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate