Home » News » Public Safety
Weather hampers fighting of New Ipswich blaze
A New Ipswich Highway Department employee was driving by the single family home at 77 Stowell Road around 5:30 a.m. Friday when he noticed smoke coming from the building, said Fire Chief David Leel.
The owners of the home are currently in North Carolina, but two family members were staying at the house, including a man who was working when the blaze broke out, and a teenager who was sleeping but was woken up by the smoke detectors, Leel said.
But for firefighters, the temperatures which hovered just above zero degrees at 5:30 a.m. caused a number of complications. The all-call fire department had to get to the fire station on slick roads, and once the fire trucks were at the scene things started freezing up, said Leel.
As the equipment came in contact with water, freezing occurred, and once those problems were solved, the water hitting the ground created dangerous conditions for the firefighters. But just finding water became an issue, the chief said.
"If it had been June we would have knocked this down in a half an hour," he said.
Leel said it appears the fire started in the rear right-hand side of the house, and early indications are that the fire was electrical in nature. However, the investigation into the cause of the fire was just starting on Friday afternoon and Leel said there was no way to make a definitive determination until the investigation is complete.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- For Nashua student walkers, commute may soon be safer - 0
- Several pets succumb to fire at Farmington home Thursday - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 1
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- Dover police convince local man to go to hospital for evaluation - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- A second chance: Manchester hasn't won Hooksett yet - 0
- Calling Deep Throat: Where is Obama's Mark Felt? - 0
- Monarchs know there's always room for improvement - 0
- Student artwork on display in Derry for PTA's Reflections - 0
- Town, school budgets approved in Amherst - 0
- Wilton-Lyndeborough elementary school merger plan passes - 0
- Hollis voters approve all warrant articles - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Bedford advances to final with ease - 0
- Boys' Hockey: Souhegan, John Stark-Hopkinton advance in Div. III - 0
Town, school budgets approved in Amherst
Hollis voters approve all warrant articles
Rochester firm is ready to add jobs
John Stossel: The bogus war on women
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run