Michael Moffett: Congress was right to trim veterans' pension increases
New Hampshire's U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte, a Republican, introduced legislation - the Keeping Our Promise to Our Military Heroes Act (S. 1869) - to repeal the COLA reduction. Sen. Ayotte's proposal would replace the military retiree benefit cuts by stopping a scheme that currently allows illegal immigrants to claim the additional child tax credit - which currently costs taxpayers billions.
We need to change our current structure - i.e. slightly modify benefits. Not for Wounded Warriors, for whom we can't do enough, but for us healthy retirees.
Every constituency receiving Washington money argues for more federal funds. And folks get elected (and reelected) to Congress by bringing home the bacon. That's our system, a system which requires a chief executive with the courage to counter built-in congressional over-spending tendencies. Unfortunately, the current administration has been the worst in history in terms of spending. The debt numbers and wasteful policies speak for themselves.
A different President, John F. Kennedy, famously said "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
I'm sure John F. Kennedy would agree.
Michael Moffett of Loudon was a Marine Corps infantry officer who saw duty in the Persian Gulf and in Afghanistan. He is a professor at NHTI-Concord and author of "FAHIM SPEAKS: A Warrior-Actor's Odyssey from Afghanistan to Hollywood and Back."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 2
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 6
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 4
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
- Ryan Pitts: Reluctant hero - 0
- Relief and questions: Abby Hernandez returns home - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 61
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: At Zaboo, 'You'll fit right in ...' - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee