Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Smaug? Desolation? Movie offers plenty of time to think (about something else)
She said we were going to see something called the "Desolation of Smog.''
Turns out, I had the spelling wrong. It's actually "Smaug'' in the movie and it is a dragon. Smaug has a lot of gold; and some little people, including one with some sort of Habit (it wasn't clear what), are trying to take the gold.
Then it occurred to me that I should only make resolutions that I can keep. So I have also resolved:
To give up smoking.
To read good books.
Not to text while driving (and especially not to do so while putting or hitting out of a bunker).
To spend more time with Ike, Mike, and Spike (and to refrain from picking up Spike. He is killing my back).
I owe the mayor for some long-forgotten wager. I don't mind paying. It should help me with my second resolution.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 1
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 51
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name