Home » News » Public Safety
Fisher Cats stadium, T.J. Maxx Plaza damaged when pipes burst
District Chief Al Poulin said a sprinkler pipe vent in a wall of the stadium behind home plate at the home of the minor-league New Hampshire Fisher Cats burst, causing about $30,000 in damage to carpet, drywall and ceilings in surrounding rooms.
A water-flow alarm alerted the fire department to the problem, but Poulin said, it did not indicate where the pipe was located inside the stadium.
Compounding the problem, the closest fire personnel were already out at a small fire on Morrison Street, near Pearl Street, which meant firefighters assigned to stations farther away took the call at the stadium.
He estimated it took another 10 to 15 minutes for firefighters to locate the leak and gain access to the room where the sprinkler was located.
Poulin said at TJ Maxx Plaza, 30 March Ave., a pipe for a sprinkler system burst inside a vacant store, filling it with about two inches of water, which seeped into the stores on either side of it - Boston Market and Dots Clothing.
He said some residents also called for help with burst pipes. He explained that as the weather warms up, once-frozen pipes expand, causing them to burst.
He cautioned everyone not to use open flames - cigarette lighters or torches - to try to unfreeze pipes. Instead, he said, use a warm towel, hair dryer or, better yet, call a plumber.
Poulin also is asking residents to help firefighters by digging out fire hydrants and clearing storm drains in their neighborhoods. He said there are 4,500 fire hydrants in the city and only two Manchester Water Works employees assigned to dig them out.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 4
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- The Manchester Opera House — A golden age of theater - 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 1
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 0
- Owl's Nest hosting NH Open starting Wednesday - 0
- 57th Red Ryan tourney starts today at Derryfield - 0
- Graveman hurls Fisher Cats to victory - 0
- Cabrera, Blue Jays trounce fading Red Sox - 1
- Former Manchester police officer faces charges in drug case - 2
- Chinese citizen held on $50,000 cash bail in car case - 0
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Dover patient shocked by $3,766 Wentworth-Douglass charged insurer for tube of cold sore cream
Cabrera, Blue Jays trounce fading Red Sox
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Alderman seeks to halt accidents, install traffic signals at busy Manchester intersection