NH riding winter's roller coaster
Smythe Knight of Hooksett, with her daughters Emma, left, and Molly, wait to pick up a family friend on a delayed arrival while at the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport Sunday evening. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)
A wintry mix is expected to change to rain today. But the National Weather Service said temperatures will fall dramatically tonight and will not climb above 20 Tuesday and Wednesday.
"It shattered actually," Poulin said. "There was quite a bit of water inside, and it spread to floors in the stores on either side."
"We responded to a couple dozen water breaks," said Poulin. "Every engine company had at least two or three water breaks they were called to Sunday."
"Anything they can do to help us locate a hydrant quickly is helpful," said Poulin. "And with the roofs, the snow acts like a sponge, and with rain forecast the snow will soak that up and get heavy very quickly."
The rupture caused a loss in pressure and the formation of air bubbles in the forced hot water system. The air in the system kept properly heated water from reaching some radiators, he said.
MHA workers took readings in several apartments and found temperatures ranging from 62-73 degrees on Saturday evening and no apartments with a temperature of under 65 degrees by midday on Sunday.
Dunfey noted that community rooms in the building had adequate heat and could accommodate residents if they found their apartments unbearably cold.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate