Home » News » Public Safety
Girl seriously injured in Acworth snowmobile crash
Fish and Game Conservation Officer Jonathan DeLisle, New Hampshire State Police troopers, and rescuers from Acworth and surrounding towns responded to the single snowmobile accident in Acworth on Sunday at 1:16 p.m., Fish and Game Lt. Craig Morrocco said Monday.
“Even though it was built for her age you can still get hurt on them, still get seriously injured,” Morrocco said.
She crashed while descending a hill on part of a marked snowmobile trail off of Grange Hall Road in South Acworth, DeLisle said.
“A preliminary investigation indicates that rider inexperience combined with a high rate of speed were the primary causes which led to the accident,” DeLisle said in a press release.
The crash is still under investigation.
According to state law, children are allowed to operate off road recreational vehicles like snowmobiles as long as there is a licensed adult riding within sight and hearing of the child, Morrocco said. Children under 12 are also required to wear helmets and eye protection and cannot cross a roadway.
Morrocco added, “People need to know their limitations and even though its legal to operate at that age you really need to know your child and the youngster that you are going with to know if they are old enough to operate a snowmobile.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 9
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid ID'd - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 7
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too