Home » News » Public Safety
Girl seriously injured in Acworth snowmobile crash
Fish and Game Conservation Officer Jonathan DeLisle, New Hampshire State Police troopers, and rescuers from Acworth and surrounding towns responded to the single snowmobile accident in Acworth on Sunday at 1:16 p.m., Fish and Game Lt. Craig Morrocco said Monday.
“Even though it was built for her age you can still get hurt on them, still get seriously injured,” Morrocco said.
She crashed while descending a hill on part of a marked snowmobile trail off of Grange Hall Road in South Acworth, DeLisle said.
“A preliminary investigation indicates that rider inexperience combined with a high rate of speed were the primary causes which led to the accident,” DeLisle said in a press release.
The crash is still under investigation.
According to state law, children are allowed to operate off road recreational vehicles like snowmobiles as long as there is a licensed adult riding within sight and hearing of the child, Morrocco said. Children under 12 are also required to wear helmets and eye protection and cannot cross a roadway.
Morrocco added, “People need to know their limitations and even though its legal to operate at that age you really need to know your child and the youngster that you are going with to know if they are old enough to operate a snowmobile.”
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem