Home » News » Public Safety
Girl seriously injured in Acworth snowmobile crash
Fish and Game Conservation Officer Jonathan DeLisle, New Hampshire State Police troopers, and rescuers from Acworth and surrounding towns responded to the single snowmobile accident in Acworth on Sunday at 1:16 p.m., Fish and Game Lt. Craig Morrocco said Monday.
“Even though it was built for her age you can still get hurt on them, still get seriously injured,” Morrocco said.
She crashed while descending a hill on part of a marked snowmobile trail off of Grange Hall Road in South Acworth, DeLisle said.
“A preliminary investigation indicates that rider inexperience combined with a high rate of speed were the primary causes which led to the accident,” DeLisle said in a press release.
The crash is still under investigation.
According to state law, children are allowed to operate off road recreational vehicles like snowmobiles as long as there is a licensed adult riding within sight and hearing of the child, Morrocco said. Children under 12 are also required to wear helmets and eye protection and cannot cross a roadway.
Morrocco added, “People need to know their limitations and even though its legal to operate at that age you really need to know your child and the youngster that you are going with to know if they are old enough to operate a snowmobile.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax