We're slipping, sliding, cold and flooded
During Monday morning's commute, a New Hampshire State Police trooper parked his vehicle in the breakdown lane to investigate a rollover crash on Interstate 93 south in Bow, leaving the emergency lights on. A southbound vehicle lost control and struck the cruiser, significantly damaging both vehicles. Police said no one was hurt. Susan Ryan of Bow was charged with negligent driving.
The right lane was shut down while a tow truck worked to remove a car from a snow bank just after 8 a.m.
He steered left, lost traction and ended up in a snowbank.
No one was hurt. Interstate 89 was shut down for about an hour while the tractor trailer was towed.
Windy conditions will make it feel much more frigid.
On Monday, highs in the 50s brought a different kind of weather woe — burst pipes. Manchester District Fire Chief Al Poulin said when temperatures rise, once-frozen pipes expand.
Poulin said a sprinkler pipe vent in a wall of the Fisher Cats stadium burst behind home plate, causing about $30,000 in damage to carpet, dry wall and ceilings in surrounding rooms.
The closest fire personnel were already at a small fire on Morrison Street, near Pearl Street, which meant firefighters assigned to stations farther away took the call at the stadium.
Poulin also asked residents to help dig out the city's 4,500 fire hydrants; only two Manchester Water Works employees are assigned to this task.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NWS: North Country flooding risk near normal for now - 0
- Device may help solve weighty problem - 0
- Frequent snowstorms taking a toll on Manchester's plowing budget - 1
- After-school activities canceled in New Boston, Goffstown and Dunbarton - 0
- Pembroke extends parking ban - 0
- Latest storm will make it a short day for many students - 3
- Here we go again... Fast-moving storm headed to Granite State - 0
- Remember: Winter can't last forever - 0
- Merrimack River's freezing patterns pose scientific questions - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council