Troubled Navy veteran's suicide ends drama in Littleton
Firefighters respond to a blaze at the North Monroe home of Thomas Sitsch last February. Sitsch died Monday after shooting himself in the chest outside Littleton Hospital's emergency room. (UNION LEADER FILE)
Sitsch was a former commander of an explosives ordnance disposal group in the Navy. He sat on Combined Joint Task Force Troy, which was established to counter the threats of improvised explosive devices in Iraq, according to reports in The Caledonian Record.
"It's sad that anybody feels they need to take their life to solve their problems, but we're certainly thankful he didn't hurt anyone in the taking of his own life," Smith said.
Smith said Sitsch left a note that included dying declarations such as what he wanted done with his organs. He said police will conduct a 24-hour background check to see what Sitsch did leading up to his death. No autopsy has been ordered, he said.
Four weeks ago, Sitsch was arrested Dec. 12 for shoplifting at a Walmart in Fredericksburg, Va., according to his federal court record. He told Fredericksburg police he was a kleptomaniac.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Who scares Shaheen? She wants to stop Scott Brown - 1
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 8
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 76
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 58
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 75
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots trade backup QB - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Bob Smith gets A+ from NH Firearms Coalition - 4
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Time for Market Basket to get back to business - 0
- Playing for a purpose Field Hockey Jamboree at Manchester Memorial - 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
NH's teen pregnancy still lowest nationwide
Amnesty? Garcia is against it
George Will: Paul Ryan's way forward