Troubled Navy veteran's suicide ends drama in Littleton
Firefighters respond to a blaze at the North Monroe home of Thomas Sitsch last February. Sitsch died Monday after shooting himself in the chest outside Littleton Hospital's emergency room. (UNION LEADER FILE)
Sitsch was a former commander of an explosives ordnance disposal group in the Navy. He sat on Combined Joint Task Force Troy, which was established to counter the threats of improvised explosive devices in Iraq, according to reports in The Caledonian Record.
"It's sad that anybody feels they need to take their life to solve their problems, but we're certainly thankful he didn't hurt anyone in the taking of his own life," Smith said.
Smith said Sitsch left a note that included dying declarations such as what he wanted done with his organs. He said police will conduct a 24-hour background check to see what Sitsch did leading up to his death. No autopsy has been ordered, he said.
Four weeks ago, Sitsch was arrested Dec. 12 for shoplifting at a Walmart in Fredericksburg, Va., according to his federal court record. He told Fredericksburg police he was a kleptomaniac.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Spanish exchange students feel welcomed at Pinkerton Academy - 0
- Sandown school board member demands surveillance video in letter to superintendent - 2
- Campbell High celebrates a national distinction - 0
- Central High fair to feature admissions officers - 0
- Nashua board reviews eligibility for school sports and clubs - 0
- Nashua fourth-graders show significant gains in science - 0
- UNH math professor earns prestigious MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- School emergency notification system to launch in Londonderry - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
- Echoing John Stark: NH's immortal hero - 0
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem