Family of three displaced by Temple house fire
TEMPLE — A family of three was displaced by a fire Wednesday morning.
Firefighters responded to 243 Colburn Road around 9:30 a.m. and found smoke coming from the eaves, said Temple Fire Chief George Clark.
Firefighters entered the first floor, found smoke and heat conditions and discovered flames coming up the basement stairs.
“There was enough heat to melt the kitchen appliances,” Clark said. “The fire was mostly concentrated down in the basement of the house.”
It took firefighters about 40 minutes to knock down the fire, but they remained on scene until about 4 p.m.
Clark said it appears the fire was caused by the woodstove on the first floor with an obstructed chimney in the basement.
“It appears there could have possibly been a block in the chimney in the basement,” he said.
The home was not structurally damaged, but is currently unlivable because of the interior damage, Clark said.
The Red Cross was called in to assist the family of three, a mother, father and son.
The family dog had to be rescued by firefighters and received veterinary care afterward with oxygen and antibiotics.
Clark said the wife was home when the fire started.
“She got out through the door and thought the dog was behind her,” Clark said.
No one else was injured.
Dublin, Greenville, Peterborough, New Ipswich, Jaffrey, Wilton and Lyndeborough fire departments assisted at the scene, and Mason firefighters covered the Temple fire station.