Alexandria selectmen vote to oppose wind farm proposal
At a gathering Tuesday night of about 75 people from Alexandria and neighboring towns called by selectmen, one person spoke in favor of Wild Meadows, which Spanish wind giant Iberdrola Renewables wants to build in town and in neighboring Danbury. More than 20 residents spoke against the project, many to loud applause, saying the turbines would ruin property values, the local tourism industry, and the overall quality of life in town.
“What more do you need?” selectmen were asked by several speakers, though board members didn’t immediately answer.
“I would,” echoed Selectman George Tuthill.
Selectman Ken Hall did not agree, saying he was trying to stay “neutral” on the issue. But when pressured by residents about his responsibility as their representative, he agreed that selectmen would voice the town’s opposition to the project when meeting with the state’s Site Evaluation Committee, the approval authority for such projects.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown’s prospects for a U.S. Senate win are poor - 11
- Deroy Murdock: A 'reset' with Russia that would get Putin's attention - 0
- Helen DePrima: How Obamacare worsened my health insurance - 18
- Jonah Goldberg: On Russia, Obama is stuck in the past - 3
- Ray Wieczorek: Joe Kenney is the man for the job - 1
- Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin? - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness - 0
- George Will: The face of IRS behavior - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus