National Guard armory in Franklin to undergo $850,000 renovation
The New Hampshire National Guard Armory in Franklin, shown earlier this week, is due for a facelift. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
The 11,000-square-foot armory badly needs repairs, renovations, and upgrades, said the Guard's Col. David Mikolaities.
Now, the armory houses the Readiness Center for the Guard's 60th Engineer Detachment, a group that requires more space and better facilities for its once-a-month training sessions.
"A common theme among our armories in the state is that they are very old, and they are typically undersized for what we do today," Mikolaities said. "In Franklin, the building is more than 50 years old, and the engineers need to do vertical construction projects that require more space."
Bids have come in for the project by more than a half-dozen contractors, he said. State and Guard officials were scheduled to open the bids Wednesday and begin the process of selecting a contractor.
Half of the funding for the project comes from state money and half from federal funds, he said.
The Guard is in the process of modernizing and renovating its armories all over the state, Mikolaities said, and hopes to improve another armory in the state soon.
"The project in Franklin is an indication of our long-term commitment to our facilities in the state," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Comedian Joan Rivers dead at age 81 says daughter - 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Campbell boys pull upset - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters