Wintery weather mix forces cancellation of state Veterans Cemetery wreath pickup
Mike Horne, director of the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery, demonstrates why the cemetery has canceled this week's planned removal of wreaths from gravesites. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
Wreaths are removed from the grave sites and disposed of, Horne said. This is the first time it's been cancelled.
In some cases, they are frozen to the stones themselves.
The wreaths are laid against the gravestones each year by the Blue Star Mothers, a group supporting veteran causes. In line with the procedure at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, D.C., one-fourth of the more than 4,000 graves at the cemetery are decorated with the wreaths each year on a rotation schedule.
But the pickup of the wreaths will have to wait.
"The rain we had seeped down through the snow and froze many of them. If it had stayed just powder snow, we would have been all right," he said. "There are safety issues as well, it's slippery out there."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Knights of Columbus assists with Manchester church renovations - 0
- Religion calendar for NH, beginning Aug. 21 - 0
- St. Luke parish in Plaistow to hold yard sale - 0
- Manchester educator explores history of anti-semitism and the Holocaust - 0
- Hope Chapel Nashua plans a little fun on Saturday - 0
- Haitian choir sings in Hollis on Sunday - 0
- Religion Calender for the Weeks of Aug. 3 and 10 - 0
- St. James church celebrates Jonathan Daniels’ 75th birthday - 0
- Fox interview with Ibrahim delayed - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS leads police to truck; vehicle breaks lead to arrest - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- Brian’s Ride Home benefits Afghanistan veteran - 0
- Red Sox held to one hit as Angels coast to win - 0
- Market Basket: Analysts point to debt - 0
- Goffstown CIP committee wraps up for year, sends work to planning board - 0
- Holloman’s fotball career is over in Dallas due to injury - 0
- Tringale in contention at The Barclays - 0
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m