Wintery weather mix forces cancellation of state Veterans Cemetery wreath pickup
Mike Horne, director of the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery, demonstrates why the cemetery has canceled this week's planned removal of wreaths from gravesites. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
Wreaths are removed from the grave sites and disposed of, Horne said. This is the first time it's been cancelled.
In some cases, they are frozen to the stones themselves.
The wreaths are laid against the gravestones each year by the Blue Star Mothers, a group supporting veteran causes. In line with the procedure at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, D.C., one-fourth of the more than 4,000 graves at the cemetery are decorated with the wreaths each year on a rotation schedule.
But the pickup of the wreaths will have to wait.
"The rain we had seeped down through the snow and froze many of them. If it had stayed just powder snow, we would have been all right," he said. "There are safety issues as well, it's slippery out there."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Colebrook and Berlin to get VA clinics - 0
- Job fair in Laconia attracts veterans and 39 employers - 0
- Salem couple's effort to honor Doolittle Tokyo Raiders is gaining momentum - 0
- Footwear drive to help Liberty House - 0
- Whitefield event honors Vietnam vets - 0
- Vietnam veterans remembered 50 years later in Londonderry - 0
- Post 27 events - 0
- NH soldiers share family bond — and Purple Hearts - 0
- Bill Luti: Situation in Ukraine stirs memories of events before World War II - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Marathon 'hams' took on vital role after Marathon bombings - 0
- Daniel Scott King - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Hood pitches Goffstown past Souhegan - 0
- College Baseball: PSU holds off Keene State - 0
- Schoop, Markakis pace Orioles past Sox - 0
- Late rally spurs Fishers over B-Mets - 0
- Datsyuk goal lets Wings take flight over Bruins in playoff opener - 0
- Monarchs finish regular season with OT loss - 0
- Keystone XL pipeline decision delayed, likely until after elections - 0
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Win tickets to see Comedian Mike Birbiglia!