Developer says foes won't deter wind power project
Danbury selectmen said the ballot results of a vote taken last month would set the town's stance on the project. The count Wednesday night showed 249 residents opposed to the project and 116 residents in favor it.
But officials from Iberdrola Renewables aren't taking the Danbury vote as a sign that the town opposes Wild Meadows. The ballots went to 790 registered voters in town, and fewer than half responded.
Iberdrola and its local company, Atlantic Wind, don't need agreement from residents or the governments of the two towns to build. The authority for the project's permit rests with the state's Site Evaluation Committee, though the company is seeking local cooperation.
Selectmen from nearby towns also voiced their towns' opposition to the project at the Alexandria selectmen's meeting Tuesday night, and offered support to Danbury and Alexandria.
The towns will be able to comment during the yearlong SEC process for the project, state officials said, each with "a seat at the table" of the discussions and at SEC-sponsored local hearings.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Lundberg survey says gas prices fall as refinery output rises - 0
- Peterborough OKs state's largest solar array project - 0
- Settlement reached between Groton Wind and state AG's office - 1
- Peterborough makes plans for state's largest solar array - 0
- Alexandria won't approve permit for wind-power developer - 0
- Windham officials to discuss development - 0
- AMC asking N.E. governors to stop Northern Pass lines - 25
- Alternative routes being laid out for gas pipeline expansion - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride