Home » News » Public Safety
Wolfeboro hiker injured in 100-foot fall
James Nupp, 64, was hiking what is known as "Shoestring Gully" with a friend when he slipped and fell around noon Friday, sustaining multiple injuries that left him unable to walk. Another ice climber who was above Nupp on the route witnessed the fall and then climbed higher into the gully to find cell service to call 911, according to Fish and Game.
About a dozen volunteers from the Mountain Rescue Service helped five conservation officers from Fish and Game carry Nupp safely down three quarters of a mile of very steep and icy terrain, authorities said.
Rescuers reached a waiting ambulance along Route 302 at about 5:30 p.m. Nupp was transported to Memorial Hospital in North Conway for further evaluation and treatment.
Fish and Game reminds people to pack appropriate clothing and equipment while hiking. Hikes often take longer than anticipated and weather is unpredictable. Having appropriate gear aides in safety. More information is available at www.hikesafe.com.
READER COMMENTS: 15
- Londonderry response team celebrates 10th anniversary - 0
- Police say to expect more arrests in wake of Keene chaos - 6
- Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation - 8
- Bedford woman injured when tree falls on her - 0
- Clarksville man accidentally shoots himself - 0
- KSC graduate in town says he aided a wounded party-goer - 0
- Weare shakes its head at police department saga - 4
- Keene State College students clean up after mayhem, say weekend riots were not their fault - 11
- Londonderry man killed in I-495 off-ramp crash identified - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- GT Advanced Technology attorney hoping for Apple agreement today to allow more openness in bankruptcy court - 0
- Nashua caretaker wants evidence suppressed in sexual assault case - 0
- Former coach from Nashua charged in sex assaults claims confession was involuntary - 0
- NH highways have potentialy deadly guardrail end pieces, transportation commissioner says - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 8
- Staples says it is probing possible payment card data breach - 1
- Manchester police: Ga. man stole truck in Mass. to visit mom in NH - 0
- South African Olympian Pistorius sentenced to five years in girlfriend's murder - 0
- Expect the unexpected in NHIAA field hockey tourneys - 0
A series of sharp exchanges at 2nd CD debate
Murder-suicide ruled in Fremont deaths
Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar