Home » News » Public Safety
Heavy rain to follow morning of icy roads and accidents
“It’s like bumper cars out there this morning,” Manchester police Sgt. Craig Russo said. “People sliding everywhere.” He said there were probably a dozen or more accidents between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m.
In Wakefield, authorities said a section of the Spaulding Turnpike was closed due to a serious crash mid-morning Saturday. Police didn’t know which direction was shuttered or how long it would be closed.
A freezing rain advisory, lifted in southern area, is in effect until 1 p.m. for most of the state, the notable exceptions being Hillsborough and Cheshire counties.
The National Weather Service also posted a flood watch that goes into effect Saturday afternoon across the entire state, lasting into Sunday, as forecasters expect 1 to 2 inches of rain. Temperatures are expected to rise to around 50 Saturday.
“The heavy rainfall and mild temperatures may lead to ice jams, which could cause flooding,” the weather service said. “The threat of ice jams will continue into Sunday as temperatures will remain above freezing.”
Flooding also is possible in urban and poor-drainage areas.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride