Home » News » Public Safety
Slain boy's mom leads push to create crime of domestic violence
Joshua Savyon, 9, was shot to death by his father in a supervised visit at the Manchester YWCA. His mother, Becky Ranes, will testify next week in favor of a bill establishing a separate crime of domestic violence in the state.. (courtesy)
The bill would not change existing state laws that usually apply to domestic violence crimes, but would group the statutes in one new section.
"I hope this doesn't turn into a gun rights bill," she said, "because it's not."
While he had just received a copy of the bill, he said he believes the definition of intimate relationship needs to be clarified.
He said people are just beginning to study the bill and its implications, and he noted it could pass the Senate before anyone can mount a case against it.
Federal law targets those convicted of misdemeanors involving physical force or the threatened use of deadly force against family members or those who have been in "intimate relationships."
By establishing the domestic violence crime, it is much clearer who should be on the registry, she said.
The bill has the backing of the Attorney General's Office, the Department of Safety, the N.H. Association of Chiefs of Police, Child and Family Services, N.H. County Attorneys Association, N.H. Legal Assistance and the N.H. Sheriff's Association.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem