Home » News » Public Safety
Slain boy's mom leads push to create crime of domestic violence
Joshua Savyon, 9, was shot to death by his father in a supervised visit at the Manchester YWCA. His mother, Becky Ranes, will testify next week in favor of a bill establishing a separate crime of domestic violence in the state.. (courtesy)
The bill would not change existing state laws that usually apply to domestic violence crimes, but would group the statutes in one new section.
"I hope this doesn't turn into a gun rights bill," she said, "because it's not."
While he had just received a copy of the bill, he said he believes the definition of intimate relationship needs to be clarified.
He said people are just beginning to study the bill and its implications, and he noted it could pass the Senate before anyone can mount a case against it.
Federal law targets those convicted of misdemeanors involving physical force or the threatened use of deadly force against family members or those who have been in "intimate relationships."
By establishing the domestic violence crime, it is much clearer who should be on the registry, she said.
The bill has the backing of the Attorney General's Office, the Department of Safety, the N.H. Association of Chiefs of Police, Child and Family Services, N.H. County Attorneys Association, N.H. Legal Assistance and the N.H. Sheriff's Association.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate