Home » News » Public Safety
Mass. girl, 16, killed in Wakefield crash
A two-vehicle crash on Route 16 in Wakefield killed a 16-year-old girl, Julia Vanella of Malden, Mass., and sent four others to the hospital, according to Wakefield Police Chief Ken Fifield
"The heavy rainfall and mild temperatures may lead to ice jams, which could cause flooding," the Weather Service said. "The threat of ice jams will continue into Sunday as temperatures will remain above freezing."
The truck driver, whose name was not available, was taken to Speare Memorial Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, Bonan said. Nobody was at the home at the time of the accident, he said.State Transportation Department spokesman Bill Boynton cited "challenging conditions this morning, with freezing rain and below freezing ground temperatures."
With contributions from freelance reporter Larissa Mulkern and staff reporter Tim Buckland.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair rescues dog from frozen Raymond river - 0
- Pilot safe after crash landing on Alton ice runway - 0
- Police dog Mingo is in even better hands - 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 1
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal would create formidable giant - 0
- NH College Notebook: Rye's Drummond sets Smith College scoring mark - 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
George Will: The face of IRS behavior
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness