Home » News » Public Safety
Mass. girl, 16, killed in Wakefield crash
A two-vehicle crash on Route 16 in Wakefield killed a 16-year-old girl, Julia Vanella of Malden, Mass., and sent four others to the hospital, according to Wakefield Police Chief Ken Fifield
"The heavy rainfall and mild temperatures may lead to ice jams, which could cause flooding," the Weather Service said. "The threat of ice jams will continue into Sunday as temperatures will remain above freezing."
The truck driver, whose name was not available, was taken to Speare Memorial Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, Bonan said. Nobody was at the home at the time of the accident, he said.State Transportation Department spokesman Bill Boynton cited "challenging conditions this morning, with freezing rain and below freezing ground temperatures."
With contributions from freelance reporter Larissa Mulkern and staff reporter Tim Buckland.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll