Ice jams lead to Pemigewasset flood warning
The warning is the result of an ice jam on the Pemigewasset River. A flood warning is issued when conditions mean flooding should be considered imminent.
On Sunday morning, the Pemigewasset River reached a height of 15.2 feet, which is 13 feet above flood stage.
Ice jams are difficult to forecast, the Weather Service said, because they could break up at any time and create another flooding situation further downstream.
Police in Plymouth report no flooding problems. However, the flood warning means residents are cautioned to move to higher ground if threatened by flood waters and to not drive vehicles into areas covered by water, since the underlying roadway may have been washed away.
The flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Plymouth is in effect until this evening.
An earlier flood warning for the Pemigewasset near Woodstock was canceled Sunday morning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
- LIghtning strike sends Epping house up in flames - 0
- Weather warnings push fireworks to Saturday in Rochester - 0
- Threat of thunderstorms pushes Dover fireworks to Sunday - 0
- Weather could lead to fireworks postponement in Salem - 0
- Some damage, no injuries when more than 7 inches of rain falls on Lost River area - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health