Roger Simon: My most sincere apologies, really
In olden times, this was a laborious process. You had to go down to the village square to see who had been put in the stocks.
MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry was a target recently for holding Mitt Romney's black grandchild up for ridicule.
It was a lovely card, everybody looked terrific and you had to look somewhat closely to notice that the baby sitting in Romney's lap had dark skin.
This was kind of stupid and kind of cruel. Which meant it was perfect.
Sunday, Romney accepted Harris-Perry's apology, a "news" item that led Google News and was one of the most read political stories in The Washington Post.
Threatening the life of a President is a Class D felony under federal law, but since a threat is an act of speech, the justice system has to take into account the First Amendment right of people to say completely idiotic stuff.
To which comedian Natasha Leggero replied: "I mean, it sucks that the only survivors of Pearl Harbor are being mocked by the only food they can still chew."
SpaghettiOs had already been forced to apologize for its unpatriotic use of pasta, but Leggero wrote on her Tumblr account: "I wish I could apologize, but do you really want another insincere apology that you know is just an attempt at damage control and not a real admission of guilt?"
So, I'd like to issue blanket and solemn regret for anything I might write in the future. Like how the Koch brothers are the spawn of an ancient alien race sent to take over the Earth.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Politics of choice: A word stripped of its meaning - 8
- Cataldo for Senate: A keeper for District 6 - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 20
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 49
- No news is bad news: Hassan goes to CDC school - 9
- No right to know: Our silent superintendent - 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 5
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Health costs up for Manchester