Roger Simon: My most sincere apologies, really
In olden times, this was a laborious process. You had to go down to the village square to see who had been put in the stocks.
MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry was a target recently for holding Mitt Romney's black grandchild up for ridicule.
It was a lovely card, everybody looked terrific and you had to look somewhat closely to notice that the baby sitting in Romney's lap had dark skin.
This was kind of stupid and kind of cruel. Which meant it was perfect.
Sunday, Romney accepted Harris-Perry's apology, a "news" item that led Google News and was one of the most read political stories in The Washington Post.
Threatening the life of a President is a Class D felony under federal law, but since a threat is an act of speech, the justice system has to take into account the First Amendment right of people to say completely idiotic stuff.
To which comedian Natasha Leggero replied: "I mean, it sucks that the only survivors of Pearl Harbor are being mocked by the only food they can still chew."
SpaghettiOs had already been forced to apologize for its unpatriotic use of pasta, but Leggero wrote on her Tumblr account: "I wish I could apologize, but do you really want another insincere apology that you know is just an attempt at damage control and not a real admission of guilt?"
So, I'd like to issue blanket and solemn regret for anything I might write in the future. Like how the Koch brothers are the spawn of an ancient alien race sent to take over the Earth.
Roger Simon is Politico's chief political columnist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- David M. Shribman: Today, give thanks to Daniel Webster - 1
- George Will: Thanks for the entertainment, America - 0
- John Stossel: Be thankful for American property rights - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 2
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 13
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 2
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 3
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 0
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 3
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
- Grant program to help Granite State students with loans - 0
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers