Hopkinton freshman, the December Francis Wayland Parker Scholar, likes taking initiative
Molnar was selected as the December Francis Wayland Parker Scholar of the Month, earning the designation with the first essay he sent into the competition.
"I figured I had a shot at it, but I'm still surprised that I won," Molnar said.
Molnar wrote that he believed Parker, a Bedford native who revolutionized education in the 19th century by steering students away from rote memorization and into interactive teaching methods, would be impressed by his school's efforts to encourage students to take more initiative in their own education.
Despite having a 4.0 average, Molnar is no bookworm. The freshman is a three-sport athlete. He's a wing on the high school varsity hockey team, plays soccer in the fall and runs long-distance races for the track team in the spring.With his selection as the December scholar, Molnar is contending for the annual Scholar of the Year honor.
Lilly Friedman, Plymouth Regional High School; Colleen Minnihan, ConVal Regional High School; Lauren Petrello, Manchester High School West; Sare Campbell, Moultonborough Academy and Katherine Frederick from Sunapee Middle High School.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Milford Bible study group to meet on Sept. 10 - 0
- Hundreds attend Mass for slain journalist from NH - 1
- St. George Greek Orthodox pastor heads west - 0
- Pope calls Foleys to offer his condolences - 0
- Inaugural organ concert at Wolfeboro church Aug. 27 - 0
- Knights of Columbus assists with Manchester church renovations - 0
- Religion calendar for NH, beginning Aug. 21 - 0
- St. Luke parish in Plaistow to hold yard sale - 0
- Manchester educator explores history of anti-semitism and the Holocaust - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test