Hopkinton freshman, the December Francis Wayland Parker Scholar, likes taking initiative
Molnar was selected as the December Francis Wayland Parker Scholar of the Month, earning the designation with the first essay he sent into the competition.
"I figured I had a shot at it, but I'm still surprised that I won," Molnar said.
Molnar wrote that he believed Parker, a Bedford native who revolutionized education in the 19th century by steering students away from rote memorization and into interactive teaching methods, would be impressed by his school's efforts to encourage students to take more initiative in their own education.
Despite having a 4.0 average, Molnar is no bookworm. The freshman is a three-sport athlete. He's a wing on the high school varsity hockey team, plays soccer in the fall and runs long-distance races for the track team in the spring.With his selection as the December scholar, Molnar is contending for the annual Scholar of the Year honor.
Lilly Friedman, Plymouth Regional High School; Colleen Minnihan, ConVal Regional High School; Lauren Petrello, Manchester High School West; Sare Campbell, Moultonborough Academy and Katherine Frederick from Sunapee Middle High School.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 3
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 3
- Pat Buchanan: The high price of papal popularity - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown does not get what 'pro-choice' really means - 15
- Deroy Murdock: Scott Brown's good case for a Republican Senate - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Rise of the Clinton Democrats (not really) - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 23
- Political correctness could wind up killing a lot of Americans - 4
- Charles Krauthammer: Ebola vs. civil liberties - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH Notebook: Ground game is Stony Brook's rock - 0
- The debut of the 'The $30,000 Nutt' - 0
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Drew Cline: Two weeks before the election, no one is talking about guns - 0
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 0
- Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash - 0
- Obamacare takes center stage at 1st Congressional debate - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Roundup: Londonderry edges Central - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Brummett spurs Derryfield - 0
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen