Adams Memorial Building in Derry in need of repairs
The Adams Memorial Building needs about $125,000 in roof and ceiling work, according to Public Works officials. hunter mcgee
A structural review of the building was completed in September and revealed some major overstressing of beams. There was so much stress being placed on the beams that the balcony had to be closed, Mike Fowler, public works director, told councilors in a meeting last week.
“The lower level is not in any structural deficiency that we are aware of,” Fowler said. “It’s primarily in the roof and ceiling components.”
“As I understand it, they (the Greater Derry Arts Council) are managing around it, but obviously the preference would be to get back to full capacity as soon as possible,” Fowler said.
And if the work is approved and the roof is replaced, it is recommended that insulation be installed, Fowler said. This would produce a potential energy savings.
The cost estimate for the work ranges from around $125,000 to $150,000. If the project is approved, the town could proceed with a bid in May, Fowler said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone