Manchester Memorial students honored for winning national academic contest
Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas reads a proclamation for the team, from left, Emily Micheloni, Parker Leonard, Jennifer Subler, Kathryn Jordan, and Joseph Discua. (Mark Bolton/Union Leader)
The Board of School Committee on Tuesday gave a standing ovation to the team from Manchester Memorial High School that won the LEAD Conference Academic Challenge in Denver, Colo., in November.
Mayor Ted Gatsas presented the students with a certificate of recognition for winning the contest, in which 14 teams from across the country competed.
Memorial Principal Arthur Adamakos also praised the students, although he noted that the team was fortunate that one of the questions was who won the World Series. He joked that the team would’ve been in trouble if it had missed that one.
As a state winner, Hillside has received two Samsung tablets plus a digital video camera, laptop and software to produce the video, along with $20,000 in additional technology products. The video she is working on will be entered into the national competition, with technology prizes ranging between $35,000 and $140,000 — and an invite to an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 1
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 51
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
- With SNHU merger on hold, search renewed for NHIA president - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate