Home » News » Public Safety
Varney Street residents evacuated after car hits gas line
MANCHESTER — Police said there were no injuries when a vehicle struck a house on Varney Street just after 5 a.m. Wednesday, but the residents were evacuated as a precaution because of damage to a gas line.
Police Lt. Maureen Tessier said the gas was quickly shut off and residents were allowed to return. Tessier said there was no structural damage to the house, which was struck on the west side where the gas and electrical lines were located.
She said a 2006 Chevy Impala driven by Deborah Clark, 52, of 9 Pinard St., slid on ice as Clark was negotiating a turn and went over a snowbank and hit the house. The vehicle had to be towed from the scene. No summons was issued, although Tessier said Clark likely was driving too fast for conditions.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 0
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid ID'd - 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 2
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 2
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 0
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 0
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 1
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof