Southern NH News Briefs
Small fire forces school evacuation
Students were forced to evacuate Hampstead Middle School late Wednesday afternoon after a fire broke out inside a small building attached to the school's gymnasium.
Smoke from the fire entered the gymnasium and could be seen outside the school, Gallo said.
"Everybody was evacuated appropriately, and everything seems to be OK," she said.
Gallo was not sure about the extent of any damage.
Board to vote on school calendar
The district is looking at a fairly traditional school calendar for 2014-15, according to Superintendent Michael Delahanty.
"The first teacher day will be on Monday, August 25 and students will start on Wednesday, August 27," said Delahanty.
The School Board is expected to vote on approval of the school calendar at its Jan. 21 meeting.
Housing Authority presents payment
Since the Salem Housing Authority began providing affordable housing options for town residents nearly four decades ago, it has paid the town over $1 million in payments in lieu of taxes.
"It has been a longstanding tradition of ours to do this presentation each year," said Kierstead. "This year, we have gone over the $1 million mark since the housing authority's first rental property went up in 1977."
"We appreciate what you do and we appreciate the payment in lieu of taxes," said selectmen Chairman Everett McBride.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Deadline set for identifiers on for-profit MADD donation bins in NH - 0
- Navy again seeking bids to develop former prison 'The Castle' at Portsmouth shipyard - 0
- Navy: Anyone want keys to the Castle at Portsmouth shipyard? - 1
- Occupy Manchester group ousted from park makes case before New Hampshire Supreme Ccourt - 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Hockey: Northeastern wins in OT, forces Game 3 with UNH - 0
- NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll - 0
- Pembroke voters OK clock tower face-lift - 0
- Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer - 0
- Groveton backs 'Plan B' for town office project - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Obama's national security aides meet to discuss Ukraine - 0
- Radio host wants official's lawsuit dismissed - 0
Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Online license purchases prove user unfriendly for some hunters and anglers
Auburn native believes in faith and fashion
Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season
NHGOP: Rand Paul wins straw poll
Bath Iron Works gets nod for fifth destroyer
Charles Krauthammer: How to handle Putin
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity