Southern NH News Briefs
Small fire forces school evacuation
Students were forced to evacuate Hampstead Middle School late Wednesday afternoon after a fire broke out inside a small building attached to the school's gymnasium.
Smoke from the fire entered the gymnasium and could be seen outside the school, Gallo said.
"Everybody was evacuated appropriately, and everything seems to be OK," she said.
Gallo was not sure about the extent of any damage.
Board to vote on school calendar
The district is looking at a fairly traditional school calendar for 2014-15, according to Superintendent Michael Delahanty.
"The first teacher day will be on Monday, August 25 and students will start on Wednesday, August 27," said Delahanty.
The School Board is expected to vote on approval of the school calendar at its Jan. 21 meeting.
Housing Authority presents payment
Since the Salem Housing Authority began providing affordable housing options for town residents nearly four decades ago, it has paid the town over $1 million in payments in lieu of taxes.
"It has been a longstanding tradition of ours to do this presentation each year," said Kierstead. "This year, we have gone over the $1 million mark since the housing authority's first rental property went up in 1977."
"We appreciate what you do and we appreciate the payment in lieu of taxes," said selectmen Chairman Everett McBride.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads