Southern NH News Briefs
Small fire forces school evacuation
Students were forced to evacuate Hampstead Middle School late Wednesday afternoon after a fire broke out inside a small building attached to the school's gymnasium.
Smoke from the fire entered the gymnasium and could be seen outside the school, Gallo said.
"Everybody was evacuated appropriately, and everything seems to be OK," she said.
Gallo was not sure about the extent of any damage.
Board to vote on school calendar
The district is looking at a fairly traditional school calendar for 2014-15, according to Superintendent Michael Delahanty.
"The first teacher day will be on Monday, August 25 and students will start on Wednesday, August 27," said Delahanty.
The School Board is expected to vote on approval of the school calendar at its Jan. 21 meeting.
Housing Authority presents payment
Since the Salem Housing Authority began providing affordable housing options for town residents nearly four decades ago, it has paid the town over $1 million in payments in lieu of taxes.
"It has been a longstanding tradition of ours to do this presentation each year," said Kierstead. "This year, we have gone over the $1 million mark since the housing authority's first rental property went up in 1977."
"We appreciate what you do and we appreciate the payment in lieu of taxes," said selectmen Chairman Everett McBride.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Opposition lines up against new Alexandria wind plant proposal - 1
- PSNH's rate request puts it lower than competitors, a reversal from last year - 6
- Pipeline meeting in Mason draws big crowd - 0
- Kinder Morgan reveals route for pipeline at Milford meeting - 1
- Nature vs. man: Keeping the lights on - 1
- Pipeline pushback seen in NH - 7
- Meeting will inform Mason residents about proposed pipeline - 0
- Commission's decision clears way for pipeline, possible cheaper natural gas - 0
- New wind plant foes press NH delegation on tax credit - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Cyber security a fear in NH, too
A new era for Nashua's police force
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten