Southern NH News Briefs
Small fire forces school evacuation
Students were forced to evacuate Hampstead Middle School late Wednesday afternoon after a fire broke out inside a small building attached to the school's gymnasium.
Smoke from the fire entered the gymnasium and could be seen outside the school, Gallo said.
"Everybody was evacuated appropriately, and everything seems to be OK," she said.
Gallo was not sure about the extent of any damage.
Board to vote on school calendar
The district is looking at a fairly traditional school calendar for 2014-15, according to Superintendent Michael Delahanty.
"The first teacher day will be on Monday, August 25 and students will start on Wednesday, August 27," said Delahanty.
The School Board is expected to vote on approval of the school calendar at its Jan. 21 meeting.
Housing Authority presents payment
Since the Salem Housing Authority began providing affordable housing options for town residents nearly four decades ago, it has paid the town over $1 million in payments in lieu of taxes.
"It has been a longstanding tradition of ours to do this presentation each year," said Kierstead. "This year, we have gone over the $1 million mark since the housing authority's first rental property went up in 1977."
"We appreciate what you do and we appreciate the payment in lieu of taxes," said selectmen Chairman Everett McBride.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Loeb School spring classes offer career-change chance - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 1
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
- From Russia, with love of numbers at Nashua school - 0
- Great Bay Community College 'boot camp' trains students in precision manufacturing - 0
- Cyber defense competition coming to University of New Hampshire - 0
- Dartmouth College mourns sudden death of student - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings being evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown doles out $29k to NHGOP committees from his PAC
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal