For one NH soldier returning from Afghanistan, a special greeting
Army National Guard Spc. Derek Dutcher witnessed, thanks to the Internet, his wife giving birth about three months ago while he was stationed more than 6,000 miles away. But nothing compared with hugging his son, Declan, for the first time Thursday.
His wife, Rebecca, said their son served as a reminder of Derek during the months her husband was away.
Dutcher was among 110 returning soldiers of the 237th Military Police Company, deployed to Afghanistan for nine months and returning home Thursday. The company reported no injuries or deaths. (See related story, Page
Erica Lavoie of Nashua welcomed home her husband, Spc. Joshua Lavoie. No one was complaining about the Christmas tree remaining up in mid-January.
Lt. Ryan Short of Colebrook missed more basic things.
"Just the scenery and the air," the state trooper said.
Short said his duties included security and investigations, similar tasks to those state troopers perform.
"I'm not ready to feel the cold," Short said.
"I've been waiting for this for a long time," said the Epping dad, who works security at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Minimum wages: Maximum spin - 13
- A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth - 1
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 19
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town, school budgets approved in Amherst - 0
- Wilton-Lyndeborough elementary school merger plan passes - 0
- Hollis voters approve all warrant articles - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Bedford advances to final with ease - 0
- Boys' Hockey: Souhegan, John Stark-Hopkinton advance in Div. III - 0
- Div. II Boys' Hockey: Bow and Bedford to meet for crown - 0
- Div. I Boys' Hockey: Londonderry moves on to title game - 0
- Div. I Boys' Hockey: Central pulls the semifinal upset - 0
- Bruins edge Phoenix for seventh straight win - 0
Town, school budgets approved in Amherst
Rochester firm is ready to add jobs
John Stossel: The bogus war on women
Hollis voters approve all warrant articles
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run