For one NH soldier returning from Afghanistan, a special greeting
Three-month-old Declan, and mom Rebecca, from Concord, are greet dad Derek, as the 237th Military Police returns from Afghanistan to New Hampshire at the Army Aviation Support Facility on Thursday in Concord. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
Army National Guard Spc. Derek Dutcher witnessed, thanks to the Internet, his wife giving birth about three months ago while he was stationed more than 6,000 miles away. But nothing compared with hugging his son, Declan, for the first time Thursday.
His wife, Rebecca, said their son served as a reminder of Derek during the months her husband was away.
Dutcher was among 110 returning soldiers of the 237th Military Police Company, deployed to Afghanistan for nine months and returning home Thursday. The company reported no injuries or deaths. (See related story, Page
Erica Lavoie of Nashua welcomed home her husband, Spc. Joshua Lavoie. No one was complaining about the Christmas tree remaining up in mid-January.
Lt. Ryan Short of Colebrook missed more basic things.
"Just the scenery and the air," the state trooper said.
Short said his duties included security and investigations, similar tasks to those state troopers perform.
"I'm not ready to feel the cold," Short said.
"I've been waiting for this for a long time," said the Epping dad, who works security at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
- Nashua to combat substance abuse with knowledge at forum - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms