Court declines to reinstate Nashua Historical Society president
Terry Romano, 82, former president of the Nashua Historical Society, previously filed a motion at Hillsborough County Superior Court seeking preliminary and permanent injunctive relief directing the society to reinstate her as head of the group.
“The alleged harm does not appear to be sufficient to overcome the general rule that a court will not interfere with the internal affairs of a private society,” says Nicolosi’s ruling. The only harm mentioned in the petition is that the former president of the Nashua Historical Society is now prevented from performing the duties of the office that she was elected to serve, Nicolosi explained in her ruling.
According to court documents, Romano was elected to serve a two-year term as president of the organization in May 2012. Following several disputes with the society’s Board of Directors, however, the board held an executive session on April 9, 2013, and voted to remove Romano as president.
If there was any harm, it is not irreparable, Nicolosi said in her ruling.
Attorney Kevin Devine, legal representative for the historical society, said previously that the board has authority to make decisions about managing the organization, including whether to remove an elected officer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Belmont bandstand gets new colors as part of restoration - 0
- Volunteers to restore historic Fabyan Cabin - 0
- After fire, eyes turn to NH youth center - 0
- WWII vets recall the invasion that turned the tide of history - 1
- Nashua Holocaust Memorial reflects years of devoted effort - 3
- Preservation Alliance announces annual awards - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- PSU professor finds first mammoth tooth in NH - 0
- Derry woman arrested after police pursuit - 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 2
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 17
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 2
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 1
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride